I love baking pies and especially enjoy making these darling mini apple pies, a tiny version of our Farmhouse Apple Pie.
- 2 1/2lb mixed apples (peeled, cored, and chopped into 3/4-inch pieces. I prefer the Jonagold and Golden Delicious varieties.)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar, plus 1 Tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 discs Pie Dough (Find the link to my pie dough recipe at the bottom of this post.)
|Preheat the oven to 375° F. Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Lay mini pie pan on dough, top-side down. Trace around mini pie pans (about 1-2" inches wider than pans) with a knife and cut out. Drape mini pans with dough. Set aside and keep chilled. Roll the remaining dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Set aside on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and keep chilled. Toss the chopped apples, flour, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together and mix until combined. Pour apple mixture into the prepared mini pie pans and top with the remaining dough. Trim, leaving 1/2-inch overhang, fold under, crimp edges and poke holes in top with a fork. Sprinkle the top with the remaining tablespoon of sugar; chill for 10 minutes. Bake until fruit is bubbling and crust is golden brown — 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 3 mini pies|
Click here for my pie dough recipe.
Photos by Thayer Allyson Gowdy.