This delicious pasta salad is the perfect accompaniment to Black Bean Burgers and it's always the side that I order with my meals at the Elk in Spokane. I've adapted their recipe to make at home. And although I'm definitely not a fan of chipotle peppers, the flavor works perfectly here, adding just the right kick of spice, yet staying anonymous, making everyone ask the question: What's in here?!
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (skip this to make it vegan)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion (finely diced)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1lb uncooked curly or twisty pasta (such as Gemelli or Fusilli)
- 1 cup lowfat mayonnaise (use vegan mayonnaise to make it vegan)
- 2 cups packed fresh cilantro (roughly stemmed)
- 2 tablespoons chipotle puree
|Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine corn, onions, butter, and oil together on a baking sheet. Using a spatula, mix together to coat corn and onions. Roast until corn and onions begin to brown, approximately 15 minutes. Once cooked, remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack until ready to use.|
|Meanwhile, puree a can of chipotle peppers. (Use the entire contents of the can). Once pureed, measure out 2 tablespoons and set aside. Reserve leftovers by freezing them for later use.|
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. (Yes, this goes against everything you've ever read about not rinsing pasta but it's necessary here). Once pasta is completely drained, add into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
* * * *
* * * *